Re: email servers

On Fri, 2006-03-31 at 09:08 -0700, ChadDavis wrote:
> Ron,
>
> Thanks for the clear descriptions.
>
> I have a couple of questions though.
>
> First of all, can you confirm whether the following understanding I
> now have is off target or not.  I understand, now, that postfix is
> both an incoming mail server and an outgoing mail server.  This means
> that it must listen on some port to receive email from the outside
> world ( this is port 25?, SMTP ).  And it means that it must listen on
> some internal port, or scan some local directories, for mail to send
> out to the outside world; how does this work?  I think I'm confused on
> the outgoing and ingoing service exposure methods.  Can you please
> clarify this for me?

The way I have my system configured, when I click the <Send> button,
my MUA "talks" to my MTA using a "socket".  The email's bytes are
sent from the MUA to the MTA using OS+CPU+RAM.  No files.  Then
the MTA relays the byte stream to my ISP's smtp server.

> <ron's text>
> So, if you want to send emails from box to box (and, of course,
> internally) on your LAN, install an MTA on each machine.  They
> will have to be configured so that LAN traffic stays on the LAN
> and internet mail is sent to your ISP's smtp server.
> </ron's text>
>
> I'm kind of confused as to why there would be a MTA on each machine.
> This probably relates to the confusion related above though.  Why
> couldn't I just have the one machine with postfix, which exposed its
> services to the rest of my machines?

Because an MTA is how you move email from server to server, and
within the system itself.

*Remember*, all *ix boxes are servers, even if, to you, it's
a "client".