Re: How do I make my NIC pick the same ETH port every time?

On 3/25/06, Tyson Varosyan <tigran@tigran.com> wrote:
Using Debian command mode 2.6 kernel.

My NIC keeps jumping around between eth0 and eth1 every so often when I
reboot. It is real annoying! How do I get it to stick to be the same all the
time? It is conflicting with a firewire controller...

I had a similar issue with a machine I was setting up yesterday. One ISA nic and a PCI nic in it. During the install, the PCI card was set as eth0, and the ISA wasn't configured. Once I added the ISA card's module to /etc/modules, it was brought up as eth0 instead of the PCI card, and I think I figured out why. The modules from /etc/modules are loaded before hotplug fires up, so the ISA card was loaded first.
Perhaps you can do something similar... add whichever module you want as eth0 to /etc/modules, and let hotplug take care of the other one, which should (hopefully) get you some consistency.
HTH

...Rob