Re: nvidia module and 2.6.16 kernel problem

I receive the digest, so hope this reads ok.

Tim Wood wrote:

I have installed the new 2.6.16 kernel on two machines running Debian
Sid and tried to install nvidia module. On both machines, the module
compilation (using module-assistant) fails with some error messages
(IIRC there was some error about rlim structure not being defined).

Searching google has hinted that there is a patch for nvidia package
from Nvidia. I was wondering if a Debian nvidia package is forthcoming
that fixes this problem.

->HS

I have had this problem. There is a patch to the Nvidia driver
(NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8178-pkg1.run) available here:

I've tried it for my laptop, which has a GeForce4 420 Go chip. The
driver compiled and the module loaded, but it completely freezes the
laptop. I do not think this has anything to do with it's being a laptop
as I also have a desktop on which I use the same procedures, 'though I
have not had opportunity to try this latest driver.

The link does contain detailed instructions, on two different methods of
using it, so I'm considering trying the option to build a new version of
the "run" file and use module assistant.

The success of this procedure might also depend on whether you use the
nvidia installer directly or the Debian package. I think the Debian
package already has some of the individual patches applied to it,
therefore things might go wrong if you apply the cumulative patch.

After some thought I did a diff on the patched files and the ones in /usr/src/modules/nvidia-kernel/nv and copied across the patched ones.
m-a did compile and install but the result was the same.

This is a major pain as the laptop completely crashes. I tried it while telnetted in from my desktop, but that killed the session. There is nothing in Xorg.0.log or in syslog to help.

Some more info is here:

A fix for older cards thanks to Hugo Vanwoerkom:

For the record, I use the nvidia installer directly with 2.6.16 and a
GeForce2 MX 100 (NV11DDR chipset); it works without problems after
applying the cumulative patch.

I'm considering purging everything nvidia, then running the patched installer again, and procedding from there. I run flightgear and it's unuseable without acceleration. For everything else the "nv" driver is fine.

I'm away from home right now, but will see how it goes with my desktop which as the GeForce2(4?) MX 440.

Tim

Regards,
           Florian