Re: How to find software?

On Thu, Mar 30, 2006 at 11:52:28AM +1000, Lachlan Patrick wrote:
> Lachlan Patrick wrote:
>
> For those curious about why I need CDs...
> here's the wordy explanation.

Quite curious.  Especially why you want just *certain* CDs.

> My Debian machine is at home. It's not on the net,
> so I needed to install from CD. I'm typing this
> email from my work PC, which I can't mess with,
> so I don't have Debian installed on it, so I can't
> directly use aptitude to download packages.

I figured you might not have direct net access.

> I'm not a Debian guru; I just prefer the environ-
> ment to Windows. In my spare time, I've written a
> novel on it, using vi, LaTeX, ps2pdf (and python).
> But much of my hardware didn't work, e.g. I wanted
> to use the CD-drive to do scheduled backups, and
> to be able to print, but I was using an ancient
> version of Debian which didn't have all the
> drivers or kernel modules. So I was stuck with
> a dual-boot Windows solution, which was not
> ideal. I'd rather not need to boot into Windows
> ever! I decided to freshly install a more recent
> version of Debian.
>
> So, I downloaded ISO images, and just created
> the first 2 Debian CDs. This proved to be more
> than adequate to install a functional base
> desktop system in under 2GB of disk, but a few
> things were still missing. I didn't want to
> create all of the other 12 CDs just to get a few
> packages, so I thought I'd ask what CDs they
> are on. Although I can use the web at work to
> discover package dependencies, I didn't know
> how to discover which CDs those packages are on.

So presumably they let you download CDs at work.
But not too many.  That makes sense.
Thank you for the explanation.

-- hendrik

> In my case, the answer seems to be disk 3, and
> the link http://www.debian.org/CD/jigdo-cd/#search
> lets you search for specific files. So I now have
> a two stage process I can use to find all the
> dependencies, then find the CDs they are on.
> (Since my PC's apt database only knows about the
> first two CDs which it has been exposed to, it
> had no way of telling me to insert CD 3 when I
> want LaTeX. Indeed, there was no way inside
> aptitude to select LaTeX... it's not listed yet.)
> I didn't know this online search facility existed,
> so I think that will solve my problems.

Incidentally, I believe the packages are allocated
to CDs on the basis of popularity.  So in the absence
of other information, the next CD in sequence might
be the most useful next CD to burn.

> Thank you to one and all, and I hope this has
> satisfied any curiosity.

Sure did!

-- hendrik