Re: nvidia module and 2.6.16 kernel problem

Tim Wood wrote:

I have installed the new 2.6.16 kernel on two machines running Debian
Sid and tried to install nvidia module. On both machines, the module
compilation (using module-assistant) fails with some error messages
(IIRC there was some error about rlim structure not being defined).

Searching google has hinted that there is a patch for nvidia package
from Nvidia. I was wondering if a Debian nvidia package is forthcoming
that fixes this problem.

->HS

I have had this problem. There is a patch to the Nvidia driver
(NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8178-pkg1.run) available here:

I've tried it for my laptop, which has a GeForce4 420 Go chip. The
driver compiled and the module loaded, but it completely freezes the
laptop. I do not think this has anything to do with it's being a laptop
as I also have a desktop on which I use the same procedures, 'though I
have not had opportunity to try this latest driver.

The link does contain detailed instructions, on two different methods of
using it, so I'm considering trying the option to build a new version of
the "run" file and use module assistant.

The success of this procedure might also depend on whether you use the
nvidia installer directly or the Debian package. I think the Debian
package already has some of the individual patches applied to it,
therefore things might go wrong if you apply the cumulative patch.

Some more info is here:

A fix for older cards thanks to Hugo Vanwoerkom:

For the record, I use the nvidia installer directly with 2.6.16 and a
GeForce2 MX 100 (NV11DDR chipset); it works without problems after
applying the cumulative patch.

Regards,
           Florian