Re: CD Writer Issues

Dear Matt,

First, sorry I sent the message to your address instead of the list... Yet again, my fingers were faster than my brain. We should keep this in the list though. I'm sending to your address again, since you replied directly to me, but let me know (privately) if you rather I wouldn't. (The norm is to *not* include the person in your reply. Just the list.)

Matt Townsend wrote:
Hi Luis. I admit I'm a little baffled by the GUI screen provided. Can I log in as root from that screen? I don't see how.

You could edit the configurations file, but you probably shouldn't. You something like "sudo". Or, you can use "sux" to login as root in a terminal. From there you can start the program as root.

My regular user is in the cdrom group. Don't know what a k3b is.

k3b is another CD burning program. (I like it a lot.) You can install it with "apt-get install k3b".

I'd prefer to write the CD using root's command line but haven't figured out how to do that. I thought it might be a simple cp command but that doesn't seem to work. Perhaps part of the same problem.

You can use mkisofs (to create an ISO image) and cdrecord. You can google for some pointers in how to do it or check "man mkisofs" and "man cdrecord".

kernel is the latest on debian.org from 2 days ago.

That depends on the "flavor" (stable, testing or unstable) and the options during installation. You can find it by typing "uname -a":

debian[~]% uname -a
Linux debian 2.6.8-2-k7 #1 Tue Aug 16 14:00:15 UTC 2005 i686 GNU/Linux
             my kernel

HTH,

Luis