Re: ssh and X forwarding

This is probably an FAQ :)  Debian disables X forwareding over SSH
by default, just as it also disables XDM logins round port 6000.

When I run nmap localhost I see the following two lines at the end of the listing:

6000/tcp open  X11
6001/tcp open  X11:1

The other lines all make sense to me, but why are these there? I do have two X sessions running, so that, I assume, explains why there are two lines and not just one, but my question is "Why are there any such lines?" I do not run xdm, gdm, kdm, or any other display manager. I boot to a console session and use startx to initiate X when I need it.

--
Marc Shapiro

No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.
What?! Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here.
Boom. Sooner or later ... boom!

- Susan Ivanova: B5 - Grail