grub ignoring root=/dev/hda3 kernel option - where should I report the bug?

Before I report this bug, I'd like to hear an opinion on whether this
is likely to be:

(1) a bug in grub
(2) a bug in some kernel
(3) a silly user error (in which case I'll go fix it and pretend this
    never happened!)

Brief summary:
I have Debian testing installed on /dev/hda2, which is my default
startup option
I have Debian unstable installed on /dev/hda3
I have Windows installed on /dev/hda1

I am using grub, installed on the MBR of /dev/hda (and I installed it
from the testing version of grub using "grub-install hd0").

I had an older version of grub installed, and this setup worked fine.

I just upgraded my grub from the version in testing (0.97-5), while
booted into my testing partition.  But now when I try to boot, the
following happens:

(a) If I try to boot into Debian testing or Windows, all works well.
(b) If I try to boot into Debian unstable (which is on /dev/hda3), it
    reads the kernel from /dev/hda3 but then uses /dev/hda2 as the
    root partition, completely ignoring the root=/dev/hda3 on the
    kernel command line.  (I know that it uses the right kernel,
    because the kernel versions on my two partitions are not the
    same as each other.)

Any suggestions what might be wrong?  The complete /boot/grub/menu.lst
file from /dev/hda2 (the testing partition) is appended to the bottom
of this email.

Thanks!

   Julian

# menu.lst - See: grub(8), info grub, update-grub(8)
#            grub-install(8), grub-floppy(8),
#            grub-md5-crypt, /usr/share/doc/grub
#            and /usr/share/doc/grub-doc/.

## default num
# Set the default entry to the entry number NUM. Numbering starts from 0, and
# the entry number 0 is the default if the command is not used.
#
# You can specify 'saved' instead of a number. In this case, the default entry
# is the entry saved with the command 'savedefault'.
default		0

## timeout sec
# Set a timeout, in SEC seconds, before automatically booting the default entry
# (normally the first entry defined).
timeout		5

# Pretty colours
color cyan/blue white/blue
# splashimage (hd0,1)/boot/grub/splashimages/debsplash.xpm.gz

## password ['--md5'] passwd
# If used in the first section of a menu file, disable all interactive editing
# control (menu entry editor and command-line)  and entries protected by the
# command 'lock'
# e.g. password topsecret
#      password --md5 $1$gLhU0/$aW78kHK1QfV3P2b2znUoe/
# password topsecret

#
# examples
#
# title		Windows 95/98/NT/2000
# root		(hd0,0)
# makeactive
# chainloader	+1
#
# title		Linux
# root		(hd0,1)
# kernel	/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2 ro
#

#
# Put static boot stanzas before and/or after AUTOMAGIC KERNEL LIST

### BEGIN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST
## lines between the AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST markers will be modified
## by the debian update-grub script except for the default options below

## DO NOT UNCOMMENT THEM, Just edit them to your needs

## ## Start Default Options ##
## default kernel options
## default kernel options for automagic boot options
## If you want special options for specifiv kernels use kopt_x_y_z
## where x.y.z is kernel version. Minor versions can be omitted.
## e.g. kopt=root=/dev/hda1 ro
# kopt=root=/dev/hda2 ro

## default grub root device
## e.g. groot=(hd0,0)
# groot=(hd0,1)

## should update-grub create alternative automagic boot options
## e.g. alternative=true
##      alternative=false
# alternative=true

## should update-grub lock alternative automagic boot options
## e.g. lockalternative=true
##      lockalternative=false
# lockalternative=false

## altoption boot targets option
## multiple altoptions lines are allowed
## e.g. altoptions=(extra menu suffix) extra boot options
##      altoptions=(recovery mode) single
# altoptions=(recovery mode) single

## controls how many kernels should be put into the menu.lst
## only counts the first occurence of a kernel, not the
## alternative kernel options
## e.g. howmany=all
##      howmany=7
# howmany=all

## should update-grub create memtest86 boot option
## e.g. memtest86=true
##      memtest86=false
# memtest86=true

## ## End Default Options ##

title		Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.15-1-k7 Default
root		(hd0,1)
kernel		/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2 ro
initrd		/boot/initrd.img
savedefault
boot

title		Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.15-1-k7 Default (recovery mode)
root		(hd0,1)
kernel		/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2 ro single
initrd		/boot/initrd.img
savedefault
boot

title		Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.12-1-k7 Previous
root		(hd0,1)
kernel		/boot/vmlinuz.old root=/dev/hda2 ro
initrd		/boot/initrd.img.old
savedefault
boot

title		Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.12-1-k7 Previous (recovery mode)
root		(hd0,1)
kernel		/boot/vmlinuz.old root=/dev/hda2 ro single
initrd		/boot/initrd.img.old
savedefault
boot

### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

title		Debian GNU/Linux Unstable (/dev/hda3), Default
root		(hd0,2)
kernel		/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda3 ro
initrd		/boot/initrd.img
savedefault
boot

title		Debian GNU/Linux Unstable (/dev/hda3), Default (recovery mode)
root		(hd0,2)
kernel		/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda3 ro single
initrd		/boot/initrd.img
savedefault
boot

title		Debian GNU/Linux Unstable (/dev/hda3), Previous
root		(hd0,2)
kernel		/boot/vmlinuz.old root=/dev/hda3 ro
initrd		/boot/initrd.img.old
savedefault
boot

title		Debian GNU/Linux Unstable (/dev/hda3), Previous (recovery mode)
root		(hd0,2)
kernel		/boot/vmlinuz.old root=/dev/hda3 ro single
initrd		/boot/initrd.img.old
savedefault
boot

title Windows NT/2000/XP