Re: kernel panic with SATA

On Sunday 26 March 2006 14:24, oscar wrote:

> I am trying to install Debian in a new Dell M70. I first used a CD with the
<snippage>
> from root=/dev/hda1 to root=/dev/sda1. No result. Still kernel panic.
> Moreover, I try testing distribution to see what happens. Now not only with
> kernel 2.6 but even with kernel 2.4 i get a kernel panic.

These panics are symptoms I've seen here on my SCSI/SATA systems. *I think*
what's happening is that when the boot process goes to load the kernel (to
switch from initrd to the real kernel?), the partition given in menu.lst
(written by the installer) doesn't exist or has no kernel.

Linux SATA support, IMHO, sucks big time nowadays. As in doesn't work very
well at all.

The installer sets up disk names and labels one way, then the boot process
names them so they don't match. SATAs are hd's at one point, sd's at another.
And something moves them ahead of real SCSIs in /dev.

Things seem to work fine with IDEs and SCSIs. And the bug site says they know
about this problem and that they'll fix it in the next release. Or maybe in
an installer update. Ubuntu, not too surprisingly, acts the same way.

My fix: unplug the SATAs and live without them, or replace them with IDEs. Or
SCSIs, if you're a high roller. Yeah, it costs $$, but the OS didn't...

--
Glenn English
ghe@slsware.com