Re: Understanding /root, /usr, /var and so on

On Sun, Mar 26, 2006 at 03:22:06AM -0500, Andrew Cady wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 26, 2006 at 02:39:51AM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >
> > IMO ifconfig is a system function, and the normal user has no need
> > for access to it, none, nada, zip.  As the admin, the admin should be
> > responsible for that, with those configs locked down for normal users.
> >
> > Heck, I'm using two subnets here at home with only 3 machines, just
> > for that exact reason, seperation of responsibilities.  Call me
> > paranoid, but I intend to keep it that way.
>
> Putting files in /sbin rather than /bin doesn't restrict access to them
> in any way.  Any user can run programs in /sbin.  Any user can add /sbin
> to his PATH.  Also, any user can go to debian.org, download ifconfig,
> and install it in his home directory.  Users cannot modify anything with
> ifconfig unless they are root; they can only use it to view interfaces.
>
> The only reasons for having a separate /sbin are historical, and even
> then they are unclear.  They certainly have nothing to do with security,
> which is provided by other means.  Perhaps originally /bin represented
> a stable interface for users while /sbin was allowed to be changed by
> adminstrators?  *shrug*
Hi Andrew,
my cobwebbed brain always associates 'sbin' with 2 things: statically
linked binaries and sysadmin binaries (which maybe statically linked to
allow them to be used when you are in runlevel 'S' and only have /root
and /)
And 'bin' to be user binaries.
cheers,
Kev