Re: Resolution problems with monitor

Chance Platt wrote:

>On Sun, 2006-03-26 at 17:19 +0530, Kumar Appaiah wrote:
>

>>Hello!
>>
>>I am using Sarge and my monitor is not giving better resoultion than
>>640x480. I have tried all the suggestions given in the on various
>>websites and wikis in this regard, but none of them worked. I have an
>>IBM E50 monitor and an Intel 845 graphics board.
>>
>>Thank you,
>>Kumar
>>
>>(P.S. Please CC me your reply, as I am not subscribed to the list)
>>

>As root:  dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
>
>This re-prompts you the X server setup you saw when installing.  You'll
>be able to pick which resolutions you want.  I always just select one
>resolution -- that way there's no guessing as to what resolution will
>come up when X starts.
>
>chance

You shouldn't have to guess.

Section "Screen", subsections "Display" in your /etc/X11XF86Config-4
file each contain a line "Modes" listing all your resolutions for each
colour depth. The first entry in these lines will be the resolution that
comes up by default.

With a CRT monitor it can be useful to have a few resolutions available.

You can also set the default colour depth in the top level part of
"Screen" so you don't have to specify it on the command line, eg:

DefaultDepth   24

Finally, it's well worth finding the actual nuber of pixels per inch for
your monitor and also specifying this in the same section, eg:

Option    "DPI" "117 x 117"