Re: How do I make my NIC pick the same ETH port every time?

Tyson Varosyan wrote:
Using Debian command mode 2.6 kernel.

My NIC keeps jumping around between eth0 and eth1 every so often when I
reboot. It is real annoying! How do I get it to stick to be the same all the
time? It is conflicting with a firewire controller...

Try ifrename:

debian[~]% wajig details ifrename
Package: ifrename
Section: net
Installed-Size: 68
Maintainer: Guus Sliepen <guus@debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Source: wireless-tools
Version: 27-2
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.2.ds1-4), libiw27 (>= 27)
Filename: pool/main/w/wireless-tools/ifrename_27-2_i386.deb
Size: 42104
MD5sum: a27dd45c05e27d7955f77d8ea08b679a
 Ifrename allow the user to decide what name a network interface will have.
Ifrename can use a variety of selectors to specify how interface names match
 the network interfaces on the system, the most common selector is the
 interface MAC address.

But I *think* you cannot use eth* anymore. I think you have to rename it since, switching doesn't seem to work very well. (Or I did not know how to do it properly.) I'm using lan* instead an works great! (Just careful with the new name in the firewall.)

HTH,

Luis