Re: Help logging activity from a Linksys box

On Saturday 25 March 2006 06:47, Scott Ehrlich wrote:
>I have a Linksys BEFSR81 and am trying to capture its incoming and
>outgoing logs to my debian box.   I've searched www.google and
>groups.google and have tried the various things mentioned, but still
>can't get the logs captured to a file.
>
>What files and configurations of said files am I missing to get things
> going?

I think what you're referring to is 'snmptrapd', which is installed on
some systems already but apparently not enabled by default.  If logging
is enabled in the router, then this utility will capture that logging
output to a file in /var/log/snmptrapd.log.  It was part of the rh7.3
install that I use for a firewall, and all I had to do was start it. As
it logs the src and dest address and port #'s of all traffic, it will
generate a sizable log if you are running a BT client.  This info, in
my case from a BEFSR41, contains a lot of what I'd call extrainious
information IMNSHO, easily quadrupling the size of the log.

You'll also need to figure out a way to incorporate the log rotation
tasks for it.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: