Re: dyndns and webserver

On Sat, Mar 25, 2006 at 07:19:51AM -0500, Jesus Arocho wrote:
> Yesterday I set up an account with dyndns.  And here is perhaps a dumb
> question.  I tried to view my webpage on the Apache server and nothing,
> should I see something or must I try to access from outside my own network?

Hi Jesus,

how are you connected to the internet? If it is
by DSL, you probably are connecting through the
DSL modem which acts as a router. That means that
actually your router gets assigned the DYNDNS name
you chose, as this is the IP that is seen from outside.
The router then forwards any packets from the internet
to the respective machines on your (private) network.
Now, if a machine makes a request to your router, e.g.
fetch a webpage, your router does not have have any
way to resolve which is the destination of the request.

For this purpose, many DSL modems/routers have a
configuration option which enables you to define traffic
by port which should be forwarded to a specific machine
inside your network. Thus you could set one box up for
web serving and another for secure shell access.

On the other hand, if you have a modem connection, DYNDNS
should be set up for using your web server directly.
That leaves us with: do you have a firewall installed,
and if yes, how did you configure it?

Hth
--
Andreas Rippl -- GPG messages preferred