Help with Squid Authentication from cell phone

I set up a squid server on my debian box to use as a proxy for my
phone's web browser (openwave).   The proxy works perfectly, but I now
want to secure it.

What is the best way to enable user security that will work with the
phone?   I tried NCSA-style, but apparently the communication with the
phone was encrypted, thus I was locked out of the proxy.

There is no field on the phone for a username - just a password.
Based on the carrier, would the username be my phone number?

Thanks for any guidance.

Scott