Re: (SOLVED) Firefox segfaulting on pages w/java applets

Marc Shapiro wrote:

I am running Sarge with the stock Debian kernel 2.6.8-2-k7.

Until recently I was using Sun's j2re1.4.2_01, but I have recently installed jdk1.5.0_06, since I want to teach myself some java. I think that somewhere, something is confused over the version to use.

I have had Firefox simply die on me when going to some pages (I do not remember which ones at this time). I could access these pages with Opera with no problems. I could also switch to another VT, under my wife's login and access the same page with Firefox and have no problems. (My wife only recently started using a seperate logon, so it is possible that her account never used v1.4.2.)

I just tried to run the demo programs included with jdk1.5.0_06 and I had the same problem. I can run the applets under Opera in my account, and under Firefox in my wife's account, but NOT with Firefox in my own account.

If I start Firefox from an xterm I can see that it segfaults when it tries to access any of these demo HTML pages.

Can anyone give me a clue where to look to determine what is causing this problem?

Given that my wife could run java applets with firefox and I could not, the problem had to be somewhere in my firefox configs and not in any global configurations. I renamed my .mozilla/firefox directory and restarted firefox so that it would create a new account. Firefox was then able to run java applets without trouble. I copied over my bookmarks, cookies, form history, and URL history without any problems. When I copied over prefs.js it would die attempting to load an applet. It was at about this point that I realized that the old prefs.js was a holdover from when I was running the mozilla suite and it was loaded with stuff that firefox didn't need (and in some cases, obviously, didn't want).

I copied back the default prefs.js file and it seems to be OK.

I may need to go through my preferences and make sure that nothing vital changed, but it looks like my problem is solved.

Marc Shapiro

No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.
What?! Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here.
Boom. Sooner or later ... boom!

- Susan Ivanova: B5 - Grail