Re: (SOLVED) Firefox segfaulting on pages w/java applets

Marc Shapiro wrote:

I am running Sarge with the stock Debian kernel 2.6.8-2-k7.

Until recently I was using Sun's j2re1.4.2_01, but I have recently installed jdk1.5.0_06, since I want to teach myself some java. I think that somewhere, something is confused over the version to use.

I have had Firefox simply die on me when going to some pages (I do not remember which ones at this time). I could access these pages with Opera with no problems. I could also switch to another VT, under my wife's login and access the same page with Firefox and have no problems. (My wife only recently started using a seperate logon, so it is possible that her account never used v1.4.2.)

I just tried to run the demo programs included with jdk1.5.0_06 and I had the same problem. I can run the applets under Opera in my account, and under Firefox in my wife's account, but NOT with Firefox in my own account.

If I start Firefox from an xterm I can see that it segfaults when it tries to access any of these demo HTML pages.

Can anyone give me a clue where to look to determine what is causing this problem?

Given that my wife could run java applets with firefox and I could not, the problem had to be somewhere in my firefox configs and not in any global configurations. I renamed my .mozilla/firefox directory and restarted firefox so that it would create a new account. Firefox was then able to run java applets without trouble. I copied over my bookmarks, cookies, form history, and URL history without any problems. When I copied over prefs.js it would die attempting to load an applet. It was at about this point that I realized that the old prefs.js was a holdover from when I was running the mozilla suite and it was loaded with stuff that firefox didn't need (and in some cases, obviously, didn't want).

I copied back the default prefs.js file and it seems to be OK.

I may need to go through my preferences and make sure that nothing vital changed, but it looks like my problem is solved.

--
Marc Shapiro

No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.
What?! Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here.
Boom. Sooner or later ... boom!

- Susan Ivanova: B5 - Grail