Re: adding other window managers

> > > Hi all
> > >
> > > I have been using slackware based distros and on that distro I know
> > > my way around.
> > >
> > > The help I need is in how to add another window manager to the, what
> > > I presume is gdm in debian sarge.  In slackware its almost as
> > > simple as editing one file. It doesnt seem that simple in debain.

Wait, I am confused... you want to use another window manager than the
one you are currently using, yes? I do not think you do this with gdm,
but with GNOME. If you mean GNOME, then do the following:

1) Install window manager via apt-get
2) Find path of window manager (probably /usr/bin/<window_manager>)
3) Open gconf-editor
4) Go to Desktop -> Gnome -> Applications -> window_manager
5) Edit the values
6) Restart X (log out and in again, or run /etc/init.d gdm restart as root).

Cheers,

Leonid Grinberg
lgrinberg@gmail.com