Re: Debian newbie -Please help!! X server problem!

Hal Vaughan wrote:
On Wednesday 22 March 2006 00:09, lmyho wrote:

Dear all,

  I am totally newbie to Debian.  I heard a lot about it's so good,
so I tried to install it on my Dell Dimension 4550, with Win XP home,
using mini CD install through network.  The installation seemed OK,
however it was all text sceen during and after the installation.

That's normal.  Debian setup is all text.

  I didn't found anything like the words X or X11 stuff in my system
after the installation, I don't know why??  But anyway, following
what I heard, I did "apt-get installx-window-system-core" and
"aot-get install gnome", "apt-get install gnome-bin", also "apt-get
install kdebase", trying to get the X stuff.  All installations
seemed OK and no errors.  Then I loged out and thued the computer off
by turninf off the power.

  When I reboot the system, the screen flashings three times at the
moment when the running words supposed to stop and let me login. It
turned to a balck screen and came back and to black screen again and
came back again..., and then hung and displayed a message said"
Failed to start the X server. it is likely that it is not set up
correctly.  Would you like to view the X server output to diagnose
the problem?"  I would like to , but the screen actually has died and
just hung there not responed to any keybord strikes at all!  So I
have to turn off the computer again, and again....

You've done a good job of describing the symptoms, but there are still
several things it could be (perhaps someone more experienced than I
could narrow it down from what you've said).  Are there any other error
messages that appear?

  Please could anyone tell me what's wrong here and how can I fix it?
 I totally lost. :(( And by the way, I couldn't use my mouse, and the
screen display was only big text characters, why does it like this?

If anyone can help you fix it, the people on this list can.  It's a
quite knowledgeable group of people.  Just be patient because it may
take either a few attempts or more information.

Hal

Hi,
I think, to help you,one will need to know what is your graphic card, and which flavor of Debian you installed: stable, testing or unstable.
In the mean time, you may try: apt-get install xserver-xorg, but I am not an expert, so if I am wrong, pls someone correct me!
Thierry