Re: backing up a drive

Hmm... Doesn't the hard drive's MBR have the disk size on it?
(I know that's the case with floppy disks - I made Windows think a 1.44mb floppy was 33.6 mb once. The power of a hex editor ;-) )

On 3/21/06, Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
Philippe De Ryck wrote:
> Well, according to me a dd of a live system is a really bad idea. The
> safest way is just boot with a live linux CD (knoppix for instance) and
> dump the partitions from the HDD. Do NOT dump a mounted partition.

This was my thought on the matter as well, use Knoppix or Kanotix, or
other LiveCD. Um, I believe mounting Read Only would be ok.

[snip]

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.