Re: backing up a drive

Micha Feigin wrote:
I want to make an exact backup of a hard drive (copy one drive to another). It
contains a program who's copy protection checks changes to the system so unless
I can restore it exactly the program will stop running (it's a veterinary
clinic software so I don't think that there is a free alternative)

I recommend you contact the vendor of the software and explain
your situation, then request that they provide a solution.
You *pay* for the use of that software. They *should* have a
means to handle your oh-so-common case. If they don't, then
there is a problem. I would consider changing vendors.

I've been on the other side of that issue, having written and
supported hospital, pharmacy, and printing software, and I've always
provided a way to run on a temporary basis after a necessary
re-install or reload from backup. Any programmer worth his
salt is going to understand your need, but the corporate
structure may not.

Yes, I know that changing software would be a major problem,
but so is not being able to get back up and running in an
hour or two after a hard disc crash.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.