Re: DSL Howto?

Wolfgang Lonien wrote:

Hi,

my brother installed Ubuntu for a friend. Now that friend just wants to
change from a modem connection to a DSL (also modem-, so pppoe) setup,
and they're having a hard time.

Since it's a bit too far away to go and help the guys, and the machine
is not yet connected, could someone help (and CC my brother)?

Thanks,
wjl aka Wolfgang Lonien

Hi
This is debian user forum. Though Ubuntu is based on Debian, it is not completely Debian and there are many differences. You are better off asking in ubuntu mailing lists/forums. More details can be found at

http://www.ubuntu.com/support

True.  However, here is a simple two sentence HOWTO:

Tell you ISP that you have a computer running Windows 98 and that it has a NIC but no USB ports, which will clue them in that they need to provide you with a DSL modem that has an ethernet plug on it. After that, you can just setup DHCP on your machine and plug it right in to the DSL modem.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~roberto