Re: SATA drive probs: Knoppix OK, but nothing else

Am 2006-03-16 06:24:59, schrieb Hugo Vanwoerkom:
> Hi list,
>

> I have a new SATA drive (WDC WD800JD-60LUA0) that I have problems with
> getting recognized by Sarge.

    I have this 80 GByte drive too and the WDC WD360GD (Raptor)

> If Knoppix has absolutely no problems, I believe my problems are all
> software related. Knoppix finds it as /dev/sda. I created ext2
> partitions 1-7, no problems. I was unable to run lilo from Knoppix: got
> errors that he could not find the right device mapper.

I get the same error with the Sarge Netinstall-CD.

Then I have tried the new Daily Netinstall-CD's (now 11 different)
with the same errors.

I get tonns of messages that it can not find the partitions...

Then I was using the OLD Woody-Installer using Linux 2.4.27
without modules (all compiled in) and Oh luck...  it works!

I think, there is a problem with "udev".

Note:   I have installed Sarge, Etch and Sid with the same installer
        (each on a seperated partition) because I want to have chroots
        and LILO failed.  Then I have used the first Woody-CD 3.0r0
        and booted, <ALT>F2 to a console and was running

                lilo -r /target/chroot-sarge
                lilo -r /target/chroot-etch
                lilo -r /target/chroot-sid

        and lilo has written lilo and the partitions went bootable
        from /dev/sda1 which is the master system running automaticaly
        the chroots on my Devel-Station.

Greetings
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi