Re: [PARTIALLY SOLVED] SATA drive probs: Knoppix OK, but nothing else

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
Hi list,

I have a new SATA drive (WDC WD800JD-60LUA0) that I have problems with getting recognized by Sarge.

Knoppix finds it OK, I can partition the disk, write to it, no problems.

The Debian3.1r1 Debian Installer, finds it, identifies it, but with installation on another PATA partition the GRUB boot fails with 99999's over the screen.

Same with Debian3.1r1 Debian Installer using expert26 and lilo: that boot also fails with 9999's on the screen.

Booting into my normal Sarge with lilo hangs at the start with the drive connected.

If Knoppix has absolutely no problems, I believe my problems are all software related. Knoppix finds it as /dev/sda. I created ext2 partitions 1-7, no problems. I was unable to run lilo from Knoppix: got errors that he could not find the right device mapper.

Anybody have a clue as to what to google for, or what to do next to get a bootloader to run with the drive connected?

The problem is twofold (I think):

1. Booting with any bootloader and the WD disk connected with the SII3112 HD SATA controller.
2. The BIOS-check under that condition.

I avoided (1) by using a lilo rescue disk and selecting "hard disk"

I avoid (2) with the "suppress-boot-time-BIOS-data" global option of Lilo.

Then I have a running system with the WD disk mounted as sda1-7.
Nothing wrong with the bootloaders. Something wrong with the BIOS of my mobo (EPOX EP-8VTAI), but I didn't see any upgrades mentioning this problem.