Re: USB Card Reader.

Duncan Anderson wrote:
On Saturday, 18 March 2006 23:36, Wulfy wrote:

My camera usually links to the computer through the serial port.  As I
have my modem in there, it's a major pain to get the camera connected.
So I decided to get a USB card reader to solve the problem.

I plugged it into one of my USB ports and it's recognised:

<snip>

I can't figure out how to mount my camera card.  I plug it in and the
reader acknowledges it but nothing seems to work when I try and mount.
So I googled and went to the site of the manufacturer Vivanco.
Progress...  they say it needs a driver. (Does it? Syslog says /dev/sd*
are being created.)  MAC OSX, MSWindows in various flavours...  no Linux
driver.  No mention of Linux...  :(

Am I missing something very obvious or is there something like
ndiswrapper that would work with the driver?  I thought that would until
I read the man page...  :(

<snip>

Try mounting /dev/sdc1 with a file system type of vfat.

cheers
Duncan

have a look at the output of dmesg just after plug in the flash card. That should tell you want device you need to mount.

If you can't work it out try posting the lines that get added to the dmesg output by plug in the flash card, and someone should be able to tell you what's going on.

You could always get a USB->Serial adapter then your computer would have two serial ports 1 for the modem, 1 for the camera.

Regards Neil.