Re: Am I being attacked? Domain name and DNS server problem

On Mar 18, 2006, at 4:55 PM, Robert MannI wrote:

This is most likely the wrong list, but I can't find a linux security
list and this is a little bit urgent! Maybe someone off this list can
give me some pointers.
Probably.

My client has a domain. When I ping the domain, it resolves to the IP
address of the dedicated server he is hosting on.

But then, when I try to resolve the ip address back to a domain, using either
"host xx.xx.xx.xx" on mac os x, or
"/usr/bin/resolveip xx.xx.xx.xx" on linux,
the ip address is resolved to a domain name that is a little bit suspicious.
ANY pointers would be helpful. We're a little bit desperate as support
of our hosting companies wasn't very helpful, so I thought I'd ask
here, since, IMO, this smells a little bit.
Check out www.dnsstuff.com for a web i/f to some dns diagnostics.
dig is also quite useful on both MacOS and linux.

My only other comment would be: How _sure_ are you that it's a dedicated server? Have you visited it? What you're describing sure looks like a virtual host config.