Re: Someone get rid of this stupid thing.

On Saturday 18 March 2006 09:13, Mike Smith wrote:
>I keep getting emails from petsupermarket@uol.com.br asking me to
> confirm the emails I send to them to make sure I'm not a spammer. I
> see a few things wrong with this:
>1. Look who's talking... *cough* spammer.
>2. It's really annoying and IMO they should be banned from the mailing
> list. 3. I don't shop at Pet Supermarket.

To boringly repeat ad infinitum seems pointless, but here goes:
1. There is no subscriber by that name

2. We think that someone is using a mail forwarding service

3. There is no way short of a customized subject message sent
individually to every name on the mailing list, one at a time, FROM a
mailng list user, waiting each time to see if it generates this
response.  This forwarding service and uol.com.br remove so much header
information that it is impossible to determine the subscriber causeing
the problem.

4. Since no subscriber, such as me, has access to this list, and since
the list manager of one of the effected lists, debian-user is just one
of many similarly effected, has already tried this WITHOUT getting a
response so he could identify the guilty party, its considered
hopeless.

So the only thing you can do is write a filter rule.  Or borrow one
thats working as I have for procmail that sends the responses
to /dev/null.  Its not the ideal situation, but since bombarding all
available complaint addresses at uol.com.br has had no effect, its the
only solution for the individual user.  I know, I hit about 6 of those
addresses for every message for a month with fwds, none of which were
acknowledged or acted on.  At that point all I was doing was further
adding to the wasted bandwidth, so I now sort them to /dev/null with
procmail so they are never seen in my inbox.

I suggest you do the same.  If you feel you must fwd them to someone,
fwd them to your own ISP for blacklist rejecting, prefereably of the
whole FQDN on the right side of the AT at their mail server. If this
should be so successfull that uol.com.br essentially finds itself a
non-entity, and its users cannot communicate with the rest of the
planet, they will hopefully find another ISP who is in posession of a
Cluex4 about such things and move their account.  A classic case of
time wounding all heels. uol.com.br thinks this is a cash cow value
added service and actively promotes it to their users.

My procmail rule is:
----------
:0:
* ^From: AntiSpam UOL <.*@uol.com.br>
/dev/null
Which only kills that particular message.  AFAIK, I've never had a legit
message from them even before I set that up.  Rule courtesy of Joanne
Dow on another list.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: