Re: Poster to this lists email address not obfuscated? If so it makes this list a heaven for spam bots...:-(

was just a suggestion...didn't mean to start a flame war...:-/...oh well doesn't matter...already get flooded with spam and at least gmail has a quite effective spam filter that keeps the spam in the spam folder...guess having one more place where my address will be harvested by spam bots isn't the end of the world in the whole scheme of things...

On 3/17/06, Tim Connors <tconnors+linuxdebianuser1142665406@astro.swin.edu.au > wrote:
Marc Shapiro <mshapiro_42@yahoo.com > said on Fri, 17 Mar 2006 22:40:14 -0800:
> Hex Star wrote:
>
> > Hi, I've noticed that in the archive of this list, the posts I made
> > publicly contain my full email address instead of it being obfuscated
> > like on other lists (e.g. they change email addresses in the archive
> > to something like user[at]domain[dot]com or user domain com, etc) it's
> > fully displayed in its original format making it perfect for being
> > picked up by spam bots...shouldn't the emai addresses in the debian
> > archives for all the lists be obfuscated so that spam bots can't pick
> > up the email addresses? I for one already have enough spam...:-/ :-(
>
> Yes, the e-mail addresses in the archives are unobfuscated, and, yes,
> the spam-bots do harvest there.  I will leave it to others to explain
> the rationale behind this methodology.

Because obfuscating someone elses text is a stupid braindead idea that
only google could come up with.

Do you know how hard it is to make use of xorg.conf files when google
has helpfully replaced all the modelines with garbage, because a
modeline does the henious crime of including the "@" symbol?

If you don't want your email address being used in the wild, don't use
it in the wild.  Obfuscate it yourself.  Don't rely on everyone that
may keep a public archive of a public list, obfuscating your address
for you.