Re: procmail vs. exim (was: Re: Proposed change for subscriptions...)

On Tuesday, 14.03.2006 at 13:05 -0600, Dave Sherohman wrote:

> [...]
>
> Personally, I agree with Steve that procmail configs look like line
> noise and I also wish to echo his question regarding it:  Given that
> exim is installed on Debian systems by default and that exim has a
> much more easily readable (to most people, procmail gurus may be an
> exception) syntax, why are people who want to perform basic mail
> sorting tasks so consistently advised to install procmail instead of
> just using exim's MDA functionality?  Are there things that procmail
> can do that exim filters can't or is it just a case of procmail being
> what people have used for years and they're not aware that an
> alternative is installed by default in Debian?

Is it possible to do user-based filtering using exim for non-root users?
What is the exim-equivalent of editing ~/.procmailrc for example?

Dave.
--
Please don't CC me on list messages!
Dave Ewart - davee@sungate.co.uk - jabber: davee@jabber.org