Re: My first letter to the Debian community

Cadaverillo wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I am very interested in Debian,
> have bought two DVD, but still have troubles with install.
>
> I would like to share briefly my not successful experience.
>
> I failed installation for the first time
> because at the dialog box of choosing packages
> I instead of scrolling through all the packages (tasks)
> and pressing spacebar to indicate that I want to install the package
> pressed Enter hoping that it will work
> and as a result the installation finished just with the kernel
> which I was not able to operate.
> I just did not know about spacebar! Enter is a common accept button
> everywhere!
>
> On DVD all I've found was just a stupid FAQ,
> but there is no installation manual.
> Maybe that's because I am Blind.
>
> On the site I found a lot of links on docs,
> but some not working and some don't offer to download a manual
> instead open just one page but I hate such reading.
>
> Next I found an ebook by Steve Hunger about Debian 2.2r2.
> It is old but it helped me a lot.
> I've read about the spacesbars and much more
> and as a result the installation finished successfully,
> but when Debian started
> the picture was with snow - I think that's because I
> have chosen wrong video driver.
>
> Now I am preparing myself for the third attack doing the following:
> 1. I continue reading Steve's book thorougly. It is my main infosource.
> I hope that it
>
> will help me understand Debian and I will be able to install and run it
> successfully. I
>
> am also translating it.When I succeed with Debian, I will publish in
> Russian my
>
> experience and advices along with the translation of the book which I
> hope will help many
>
> others to not have such problems as me. I know that it will be not very
> kind to Steve,
> but I've found his email and am trying to talk to him. The book is
> enough old and chances
>
> that it will be published in Russian are poor. So I hope Steve will not
> disagree.
> 2. I've also subscribed to the four mailing lists, I hope.
> Maybe reading letters of Debian users could help me too.
> 3. I will review the disk and maybe there is some information hidden
> somewhere.
> 4. I will investigate the site. Maybe will find any downloadable manual
> or will overcome
>
> my dislike to online pages and read some.
>
> Thank you for attention and sorry for mistakes.

Please turn off your "email reciept notification" feature from
Outlooking Express. Reason being 1)that it is annoying for users when a
dialog box pops up asking for confirmation, 2) you sent the email to a
mailing list(debian-user being one of the highest volume list) and it is
obvious  that it will be read by atleast a few thousand readers, and 3)
just pray that all the readers do not click "Send message read
confirmation" back to you!