Re: Logrotate and mail

Sir,

Back in 5/2002 you wrote a question on a listserve that went with out
answer.  It was as follows:

'I have a question regarding the use of logrotate.

I rotate syslog, apache/error.log, and auth.log weekly. I would like to
have
the old logs e-mailed, then compressed.
As such, I am using the 'mail' command. However, can I use mail to mail
log to a system user? That is, a user
specified in /etc/passwd? Furthermore, might I be able to mail a log to
an
entire group (from /etc/group)? Or can the mail
command only be used to e-mail a log to an actual e-mail address? I've
searched online without luck.

One other question regarding logrotate. Suppose I have a set of rules
for
/var/log/apache/*, followed by a rule set
for /var/log/apache/error.log. Will both be applied, ala iptables style?
(first one, then the other) Or will only one be used,
while the other is discarded? What is the default behavior in these
cases?
Thanks!'

>From 'http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2002/05/msg00193.html'

I was doing a google search on logrotate and mail with the same
question.

Do you have an answer to the question above ?  specifically ' However,
can I use mail to mail a
log to a system user? That is, a user
specified in /etc/passwd?'  Please let me know if you ever received an
answer to this.

Thanks,

Bruce J. Foote
Computer Systems Programmer1
NYS Office For Technology
This e-mail, including any attachments, may be confidential, privileged or otherwise legally protected. It is intended only for the addressee. If you received this e-mail in error or from someone who was not authorized to send it to you, do not disseminate, copy or otherwise use this e-mail or its attachments.  Please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete the e-mail from your system.