Re: (OT) - HP Officejet Pro K550

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 18:06:19 -0500
Trey Sizemore <trey@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> I have this package installed, but as this is my first HP printer I
> wasn't sure how to use it or if it was even needed since I wanted to
> set this up with CUPS.

andrew@basement:~$ apt-cache show hplip

<snip>

 The HP Linux Printing and Imaging System provides full support for
 printing on most HP SFP (single function peripheral) InkJets and
 many LaserJets, and for scanning and photo-card access on most HP
 MFP (multi-function peripheral) printers.
 .
 HPLIP is composed of:
  * HP CUPS backend driver (hp:/) with bi-directional communication with
    HP printers (provides printer status feedback to CUPS and enhanced
    HPIJS functionality such as 4-side fullbleed printing support)
  * HPIJS Ghostscript IJS driver to rasterize output from PostScript(tm)
    files or from any other input format supported by Ghostscript
    (shipped in package hpijs)
  * Command line utilities to perform printer maintenance, such as
    ink-level monitoring or pen cleaning and calibration
  * Command line utility to download data from the photo card interfaces
    in MFP devices
  * A GUI toolbox to access all these functions in a friendly way
  * HPAIO SANE backend (hpaio) for flatbed and Automatic Document Feeder
    (ADF) scanning using MFP devices
 .
 USB, JetDirect (network) and parallel-port devices are supported.
 .

  Homepage: http://hpinkjet.sourceforge.net

<snip>

try that website. It walks you through it.