Re: Dell Inspiron 4000: Sarge 2.6 Compatibility ?

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 08:10:11 +0100, cga wrote:
> Paul Romero wrote:
>
>>Dear User Group:
>>
>>Is it possible to install Linux on a Dell Inspiron 4000
>>

> I suppose you mean get 'X' to work?
>
>>using the vanilla stable Sarge 2.6 CD set without significant
>>special procedures ?
>>
> I have what is probably the same card and I'm pretty sure it worked out
> of the box - with the exception of dri.
>
> One difference is that I use a 2.4.27 kernel.
>
>>The real issue
>>is compatibility with the ATI RAGE MOBILITY M3 AGP 2X LF
>>graphics card: the one with 8 Meg of ram. Any references
>>to relevant instructions would be highly appreciated.
>>

> I have been doing a bunch of debian installs lately because I need a
> recent 2.6 kernel so I cannot be 100% certain but I *think* that with
> sarge and the 2.4.27 kernel I was getting a blank screen in 'X' until I
> booted to a framebuffer console.  Bit  of a long story but I originally
> did a chroot install of debian off of my - then - RedHat system .. so I
> could switch to debian w/o rebooting- just a Ctrl+Alt+F8... and since
> the RH system had been patched to boot to an fb 1400x1050 console (with
> the atyfb kernel module) I did not notice anything - until I got rid of
> the RH system and started to boot directly into the debian install. That
> .. I think .. is when I encountered this problem.
>
>>Best Regards,
>>
>>Paul Romero

Hi Paul-

I'm not sure of the differences between the 4000 and the 4100 but I have
the 4100 with a 16mb ATI M6 LY card working flawlessly on Debian.  Some
potential differences are that I always do Etch installs initially and
then setup xorg to use the ATI driver.  Then I upgrade to Sid each time.

If you want to see my xorg.conf file, I could provide it if that would
help.  Its highly likely that the Linux on Laptops website may also help
if you find a match for your laptop there.  Here's the direct link to the
portion of the site that deals wth Dell laptops:

http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/dell.html

Hope that helps a bit.

--
Michael Perry | Do or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda
mperry@lnxpowered.org | http://www.lnxpowered.org