Re: Enabling remote X display

Johan Daine wrote:

[...]

Hi,
I found a solution to my problem.

# find /etc/X11 -type f -print0 | xargs -0 grep nolisten
     /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc:exec /usr/bin/X11/X -dpi 100 -nolisten tcp
gave me the clue
After reading the document , I stopped gdm, played a little bit with
xinit and a custom .xinitrc
johand@horus:~$ cat .xinitrc
xhost +johan &
exec xterm
I could run remote X programs.

But this didn't change anything with the gdm manager.
I had to edit /etc/gdm/gdm.conf
and put DisallowTCP to false

I can now run xemacs from my (localnet remote laptop ...!)
Thanks for the hint.

If both computers are on the same net, if that net is well-firewalled
and if you trust everybody that has access to that net, then the xhost
solution is OK, I guess. Otherwise can be quite a security risk:
http://www.oceanwave.com/technical-resources/unix-admin/security/x-security.html

You can avoid the security problems by using ssh. For this you would
need openssh-server on the desktop and openssh-client on the laptop. It
is quite easy to set up ssh and well worth the effort, as it allows you
to do other useful things in a secure way as well. For example, with ssh
and unsion you can very conveniently synchronize you homedir on both
computers from anywhere in the world (with internet access).

Regards,
          Florian