Re: Turning off shell access

anoop aryal wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 March 2006 02:32 pm, Arnór Kristjánsson wrote:
>
>>How can I turn off shell access (through SSH) for certain users?
>

> "/bin/false" in the last field of /etc/passwd for that user should do the
> trick.

Better yet, add something like this at the end of /etc/ssh/sshd_config:

AllowUsers bob jane

The presence of an AllowUsers directive will automatically disallow ssh
logins for all users *not* listed, except for root (I think) which is
controlled by the PermitRootLogin directive.

However, if your user also have local access to the box and you want to
prevent them from loggin in to a console, the /bin/false route is
better.  Of course, nothing stops you from using both.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~roberto