Re: Best Linux Laptop

On Monday 13 March 2006 22:13, Michael Schurter wrote:
> I know I've seen lots of posts on this before, so I'm sorry for asking
> the same questions over and over.
>
> Someone just asked me what the ideal laptop would be to purchase to
> install Debian Linux onto.  The main thing is WiFi support and good
> quality.  Don't need lots of storage or a super fast processor, but
> basic 3D support would be nice.
>
> I've seen lots of posts on here about wireless cards not working, so
> thats what I'm the most concerned about.
I'd go for centrino books because intel is being really open source
friendly... or so I heard.

> I've heard of lots of people running Linux on IBM Thinkpads, but I can't
> seem to purchase one from Lenovo without Windows.
There are companies selling laptops sans-Windows. Actually I was on three
different websites of such companies recently, but I have no link and do not
know where I got it.

> Do any of the major laptop manufactures sell laptops without OSes
> installed?
no major ones. Smaller ones/resellers *might* be worth a try. Be sure to
compare prices and compatibility probability if you think about getting a
laptop without windows as well, of course ;)