Re: Intel Xeon EMT64

On Tuesday 14 March 2006 11:09, Beat Zimmerli wrote:
> Hi everybody
>
> I want to run a webserver on an Intel Xeon machine. Which release do I have
> to install? AMD64? Is it save?
> Any suggestion apreciated.
first of all, it's called EM64T. You can run wither the i386 or the amd46
version of sarge. In general, there is no security-wise difference between
the two architectures, but the amd64 port of sarge is UNOCCIFICIAL and thus
may create some risk you are not willing to accept.

On AMD 64-bit processors, the speed increase of amd64 is noticable (using it
right now). I heard that this is not quite the case on Intel processors, as
Intel only included the feature as not to lose too much market to AMD.

Your choice. On a webserver, I doubt you will want any x86-inly packages.

> Tanks
>
> Beat

Thomas