Re: Best Linux Laptop

Michael Schurter wrote:

> I know I've seen lots of posts on this before, so I'm sorry for asking the same questions over and over.
>
> Someone just asked me what the ideal laptop would be to purchase to install Debian Linux onto. The main thing is WiFi support and good quality. Don't need lots of storage or a super fast processor, but basic 3D support would be nice.
>
> I've seen lots of posts on here about wireless cards not working, so thats what I'm the most concerned about.
>
> I've heard of lots of people running Linux on IBM Thinkpads, but I can't seem to purchase one from Lenovo without Windows.
>
> Do any of the major laptop manufactures sell laptops without OSes installed?

Lincoln Durey at EmperorLinux wrote a fun little "open letter to laptop manufacturers" in an issue of Linux Journal (I forget which) basically making this case. "Let me buy a laptop without an OS pre-installed -- we'll both make money!"

I don't know of any manufacturers doing this.

I'm very happy with Debian Linux (testing) on my Dell Latitude D800. Nearly everything works as it should (definitely everything I care about). I did replace the internal wireless card with a prism54 card because I had some doubt that the driver was working properly. The prism54 is rock solid now.

I also know that the Thinkpads are great little Linux machines also -- my last employer let me install Linux on one for my job -- all the while betting that I'd get frustrated attempting to do Java development in their environment outside of Windows. Then was pleasantly surprised when I had everything working within a week or so!

Thanks,
Rick Reynolds
--
Machines should work.  People should think. -- Richard Hamming