Re: Suggestion for a low memory system

Kumar Appaiah wrote:
Dear Users,
I would like your suggestion of a Sarge install on a low memory
system. The system actually has a 750 Mhz P-III, and 56 MB RAM (+ 8 MB
VRAM, I hear). Now, I would like to install Sarge on to that machine
for internet browsing and word processing. I would like your advice on
what software and, in particular, what window manager to use so that
sluggishness can be minimized.

Thanks.

Kumar

I hope this doesn't seem heretical or critical on this mail echo.

There are special versions of Linux which are *designed* to run
in a small memory footprint. One of them is DSL, which is a
spin-off of Knoppix, which is a spin-off of Debian. I have it
running in 16MB of RAM on one of my machines. If you want help
getting that on your machine I can help. But I have no GUI running
in that little bit of RAM. I have another machine which can run
DSL in 32MB of RAM, with full GUI.

So, it's not exactly Debian, but it's also not exactly *not*
Debian.

Anyway, if you want to try it, I can help you with that. It's
worth a try, I think. If I can run it on a 100MHz Pentium with
32MB of RAM with full GUI, and 16MB of ram on a 160MHz 486, I
suppose it'll run on your machine.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.