webserver issues

Hello. I have a webserver using apache 1.3.33, with Debian Sarge. I use webmin to set it up. Recently, there have been some problems with recognition of files due to the case of the charachers -- link to filenames that had previously had uppercase charachers were not recognized, because the files had been renamed by the OS using lowercase letters. Why is this happening? It's never happened before. I recently reinstalled my system, copying a backup of the public_html file to the newly reinstalled system. The site is http://www.opseu540.info. I've changed most of the links to lowercase characters now. I'm also noticing that apache does not seem to work from bootup, ie, it's not serving the site, even though it supposedly has started. It only serves the site if I specifically use webmin to stop, and then restart, apache. Any suggestions?

Mark