Re: Hardware

Hello William - please reply to the list, not individuals. You may get more replies that way!

Thank you for your response. I installed Debian without the Ethernet card
been detected. Yes, I have the 2 dvd's.
My problem now is after installing Debian for the first time, I was asked to
write a user name, a user account name, login name and password. When I boot
the system, I am ask to login. I typed what I think is the login name and
password I registered with, but I get an "invalid" response. I am unable to
login. It is very frustrated because I don't know what to do next. I login
those user names I always use, and I only have one(1) password I used every
time.

Can you tell me how to bypass login name and password to enter Debian.

Thank you very much.

During install, you must enter a password for user root - the superuser or administrator.

You must also enter the name and password of a normal user. This is the one you should use to log in with. If you need superuser (root) privileges for admin tasks you can switch user temporarily using the command su. You will need to enter the root password here. You should not actually log in as user root if you can help it, because root has complete access to the whole system, so it is wide open to inadvertant or malicious damage.

There is some background to this at http://newbiedoc.berlios.de/wiki/Debian_basic_features

So, you have two users: root and the user you created during installation. They each have a password that you created during installation. Try them both and check that you can log in and out. Then , just stick to the normal user.

Chris.