Sarge nits: console resized, kernel vga parameter over-ridden, and dead keys.

Hi.  I have three niggling little problems I'm hoping someone can help
me with.  I'm running stock Sarge on a Dell Inspiron 4000 with
xserver-xfree86 (ATI Rage Mobility M3 AGP 2x (rev 02)), stock kernel
2.6.8-2-686.

  - At boot, my console window is resized down to a smaller than
    full-screen box inside a black border.  How can I eliminate that?
    Is this vesafb related, and what's the simplest solution for
    fixing or disabling it?  Once X starts, it (correctly) takes up
    the full screen again, until I kill X.

  - Part way through the boot sequence, something in
    /etc/init.d/console.sh (I assume) overrides my kernel command line
    parameter "vga=2".  How can I disable this?

  - My "p" and "P" keypresses just blink at me in mysql-client.  I
    have to use <CTRL>-v to make it accept these.  The command line
    mysql-client is the only environment I've found which exhibits
    this behaviour.

None of these problems existed when I was running Woody.  The X FAQ
mentioned in /var/log/XFree86.0.log has nothing on these that I can
find, and I've so far failed to find mention of them in the list
archives.  Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks.

(*)    http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling      Please don't Cc: me.
- -