Re: Files piling up in /var/* directories

Þann 2006-03-11, 04:52:27 (-0700) skrifaði Charles:
> I've noticed that I have files piling up in /var/cache, /var/log, and
> /var/lib.  These three folders now have 100 mb of files in them.
>

> Which of these must be present for the machine to run?  This is (at the
> moment) a home machine; I don't *need* the  log files, but I don't know what
> happens if I just delete the files in these three directories.

The files in /var/log dont need to be there, you can remove all the
log files if you want (but copy them to another partition is a good
idea, just in case).

Allso it is good practice when you have a small /var partition to do
apt-get clean which cleans out the local repository and frees up space
in /var. This should be done regurlarly then (perhaps a cron job).

Oli