Re: Partitioning RAID5 disks into 2 Filesystems

On Thu, Mar 09, 2006 at 10:42:07AM +0100, . wrote:
> Pabla,Balbir [Ontario] wrote:
>
> > I thought, the process should be fdisk followed by mkfs.
>
> Use cfdisk to create partitions; using fdisk is afaik deprecated.
> *Always* reboot after creating partitions or changing the partition
> table before doing anything else, and verify that the partitions have
> been created in the way you wanted after the reboot.

This isn't necessary if the kernel re-reads the partition table. cfdisk
will notify you if it did not.  It only fails if a partition on the disk
is mounted.  This is a long-standing kernel bug; the kernel hackers
disagreed on the best way to fix it, so it remains broken.  (Actually,
it may be fixed in recent versions).

By the way, if the re-read fails, you can always umount and then run
"sfdisk -R" (or cfdisk and hit W) to try it again.  The sfdisk man page
recommends running this before changing your partitions, so you know
whether it will succeed afterwards.  Good idea!