Re: definition of global variables

Þann 2006-03-10, 12:49:57 (+0100) skrifaði Marco Calviani:
> Hi list,
>    i would like to define global variables for all the user of a
> Debian system, for example the following:
>
> CERN=/usr/local/cernlib
> CERN_LEVEL=2005
> CERN_ROOT=/usr/local/cernlib/2005
> PATH=/usr/local/cernlib/2005/bin
> LDPATH=/usr/local/cernlib/lib
>
> Where do i have to put them? I was thinking of ld.so.conf and then run
> ldconfig. Is it the right choice? What about /etc/environment ?

I dont think either of those are a good choice since ld.so.conf is for
defining paths to librarys and the environment file is for defining
the environment (language and things like that, not other variables)
for the user.

If all of your users are using bash then /etc/profile is the place to
put them I think.

Dont know about other shells, or if there is a shell independent file
for this kind of stuff.

Oli