From: Jacob S [mailto:stormspotter@6Texans.net]
Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2006 10:30 AM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Debian not recognizing 1 of my 2 CPUs and sees only 16k
cache =(

On Wed, 8 Mar 2006 10:22:04 -0500
"Yu,Glen [Ontario]" <Glen.Yu@ec.gc.ca> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've recently installed Debian 3.1 (2.4.27 kernel) on a Dell
> PowerEdge 2800 server w/dual Xeon 3.6GHz Processors and 2MB L2 cache
> per processor core, however when I do "cat /proc/cpuinfo", it gives
> shows that I only have 1 processor and 16k cache:
>
> <snippets of /proc/cpuinfo>
> =====================================
> processor	: 0
> vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
> model name	: Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.60GHz
> cpu MHz	: 3589.54
> cache size	: 16k
> =====================================
>
> There is no "processor	: 1" output following this implying
> that it didn't recognize a 2nd cpu.
>
> Concerning the 16k cache problem, I've read about it in a another
> post (which unfortunately, I can't seem to find again).  If anybody
> has had similar problems and can provide me with some assistance, I
> would greatly appreciate it
>
> Thanks,
>
> Glen Yu | glen.yu@ec.gc.ca
>
> P.S. - I read various solutions to this problem but with different
> kernels/distros by which they enabled acpi support, and others
> turning it off.  However, I don't see the significance of doing that
> since acpi is a power management interface and a server such as this
> has all the power it needs from the outlets...

Are you using an SMP kernel? SMP is not acpi and it can affect the
number of cpus seen even if your server is getting "all the power it
needs from the outlets".

If not, run "apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.27-2-686-smp". Modify
Grub's menu.lst or Lilo's lilo.conf if necessary, then reboot. Now 'cat
/proc/cpuinfo' should show 4 processors (if I am correctly reading that
each of your Xeons is a dual core cpu)

HTH,
Jacob