Re: Managing memory usage per *user* (or group) not per *process*?

On Wednesday, 08.03.2006 at 12:34 -0500, Ishwar Rattan wrote:

> > > I think /etc/security/limits.conf may be what you're looking for.
> >
> > Thanks Steve.  In my experience testing this out just now,
> > /etc/security/limits.conf still sets limits per process, but these
> > limits can be set differently for each user or for each group.
> >
> > It is still possible to run many processes that are just "under the
> > radar", as it were, so this doesn't solve my problem unfortunately.
>
> Design philosophy of UNIX is multiuser and multitasking system.  To
> achiev what you want is either limit number of user on the box or
> rewrite the kernel to your needs.

Well that's a rather abrupt reply to what I consider to be a reasonable
question, Ishwar...  I understand the UNIX philosophy, but given the
flexibility of the many and varied tools available on any/all Unix-like
variants, I didn't think I'm asking for anything particularly out of the
ordinary.

Given that the facilities provided by /etc/security/limits.conf are very
*close* to being what I want, it's not much of a technical/logical leap
to what I was asking about.

If it's truly not possible then, yes, I may need to rethink.

Dave.

--
Please don't CC me on list messages!
Dave Ewart - davee@sungate.co.uk - jabber: davee@jabber.org