Re: Partitioning RAID5 disks into 2 Filesystems

On Wed, Mar 08, 2006 at 10:20:57AM -0500, Pabla,Balbir [Ontario] wrote:

> 1. How to recognise the device file for RAID5 ?

RAID devices typically are named /dev/md0 for the first, and so on; or
/dev/md/0 for the devfs naming scheme. (md stands for multi-disk; the
software RAID driver in linux is called "md").  In any case the first
raid device (md0) has major number 9 and minor 0.

>  Ls -l /dev    .... My guess is /dev/sda   is for RAID1 and /dev/sdb is
> for RAID5. Am I correct that device file for all the RAID5 disks is
> /dev/sdb

No.  sda is the first scsi disk; sdb is the second.

> I tried :
> fdisk -s 1020000000 /dev/sdb    ... it says cannot open 1020000000 ...
> What is wrong with my syntax?

See fdisk(8).  This option does not do what you think it does.

> May I know exact sysntax of commands to partition and create 2
> filesystems on my 7 RAID disks.

Your RAID device must be divided into partitions when it is created, or
not at all.  The proper way to do this is to have one RAID partition,
and then put LVM on it.  The LVM partition can then be further divided
into partitions.