Re: Configuring mail on a system behind a Linksys cable modem router

On Wed, 2006-03-08 at 09:37 -0500, Ray Lanza wrote:
> I have a system  that I would like to use to monitor the house while I'm
> away.  I'd like it to send me mail at work whenever something
> interesting happens.  The system is running debian/testing and sits
> behind a Linksys cable modem/wireless/4 port router box.  It uses a
> static ip address on the 4 port router portion of the linksys box.
>
> My ISP on the cable modem is Road Runner. I have a mail account there
> and know the names of the incoming and outgoing mail servers. I can send
> and receive mail using thunderbird or evolution on linux or outlook on
> windows so I know that part of the setup works.  To use these servers I
> need to supply an account name and password.
>
> What doesn't work is the command line mailers.  Before I started messing
> with my exim configuration I was able to send mail out of the system but
> it was rejected with a message saying something about an illegal or
> non-verifiable domain name.  Since I started messing with exim I get no
> indication of anything happening.  Mail sent doesn't arrive nor does it
> bounce back.  I think the original configuration was as a directly
> connected system which is why I was getting mail back.  At the moment
> I'm trying to use my ISP's mail servers as smarthosts but that's
> obviously not working.
>
> Does anyone know how to configure mail in this situation?

I've got a Netgear router, and use Postfix.

Both Postfix and Exim have a feature that Postfix calls "relayhost".

In my /etc/postfix/main.cf is:
    relayhost = smtp.east.cox.net

So, when I send email to $HOST, the MTA auto-routes it to my ISP,
just as if was using an MUA.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are
any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats."
Howard Aiken, IBM engineer