Re: "alsaconf" successful. No sound!

On Wed, Mar 08, 2006 at 05:40:12AM -0700, Scott wrote:

> Exactly.  The first time I came across this I'd just naturally assumed
> something was *wrong* and spend several hours doing needless tweaking
> and researching only to find the volume was all the way down.   I've
> never seen this in Windows.  I've never seen this on a Radio or TV.
> It's unheard of, if you ask me.

I'd *really* like to know what it is that makes audio such a black art
on Debian.  I suspect
  -- that manufacturers don't provide us with specs or drivers and every
one is different (X has this problem, too, but configuring it mostly
works, whereas configuring audio seems hopeless if it doesn't just work
out of the box) (though so far I've completely failed to get X up on two
of my five machines -- at least once it works it stays working)
  -- that there are too many user-interface conveniences (like KDE and
ilk) that get their oars in and confuse things.

but I really really don't know.

-- hendrik