phpGroupWare and MySQL

Hello group,

I can't get the db working.

I am at Step 1 - Simple Application Management. This step keeps telling
me " Your Database is not working! Make sure that your database is
created and the account permissions are set."

I tried to create the DB either with the script of manually. When trying
the manual method it keeps telling the following:

# mysql -u root -p
Enter password:
"ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using
password: YES)"

When asking phpgroupware to create the database for me, the status line
says "If you did not receive any errors, your applications have been
created". Then I click on "Re-Check My Installation", and yet "Your
Database is not working!"

Nothing tell me what is wrong, just like of everything was ok.

Being new to phpGroupWare, I even deinstalled it and reinstalled
everything thinking I might have done something wrong.

phpGroupWare version 0.9.16.010 and mysql 5.0.18 is setup on a Debian
Etch server.

Now I am stuck.

Someone can help me with it?

Thanks,